Google+, a reset button for Facebook

A snap reaction to Google+ after using it for a day.

I like (or +1, I should say):

Google+ has felt like a reset from Facebook. My Facebook friends list is filled with many people whom I barely know. The people popping up on Google+ are all the first crowd who brought me into social media: Joi Ito, Loic Le Meur, Ethan Zuckerman, Andrew McGlaughlin, Yat Siu and others. Great to get a focused update on their activities.
- The import feature is impressive. I did not have to do anything for it to place my blog and YouTube channel in my profile. (These may have been imported from my Google profile.)

What makes me wary:
Will it simplify my online social life? If so: Winner. If not, G+ will go the way of Google Wave.

A very minor issue illustrates the concern that came with a photograph posted by Joi on Google+ of Ethan. I commented in the stream how much Ethan resembles Benjamin Franklin. Later, I inadvertently clicked on the photo, only to see no comment from me. This confused me. I had left a comment. Going back to Jois stream, I saw my comment again.

Apparently there is one set of comments that live in the stream and another set of comments on the photos. Separating them, however, divides up the conversation.

This may seem deep in the weeds of functionality, but if Google+ divides rather than gathers people, it will face a tough road to success!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

China Watch: Magical New Maglev, Fire the Ambassador?

Live Blog: GMIC G-Startup Competition 2011

Chinese Pinterest Huaban.com Grabs Money and Attention