The 5 Apple technologies Im most thankful for

Apple has done a lot in terms of pushing sometimes marginal technology to the fore, something it may be able to do with NFC soon, too. But narrowing down that list to a few choice selections that stand out above the rest is surprisingly easy. Here are the Apple technological innovations Im most thankful for.

1. The iPhone. It seems like a no-brainer, but in terms of actual impact on my day-to-day life, nothing beats Apples smartphone for transformative power. The iPhone was my first smartphone, and though Ive temporarily strayed once or twice since then, it remains my go-to mobile device. But why should I be thankful for a device that costs me an arm and a leg each year when I upgrade, and also natters me incessantly with notifications, both meaningful and otherwise?

Because for all its downsides, the iPhone means that I can better stay in touch with friends and loved ones. It also provides tons of entertainment, has reduced the amount of devices I lug around on most trips from four or five to one or two, and includes all the joy of an iPod, too, which wouldve made this list if it wasnt for the iPhone.

2. Screen sharing built into every Mac. If you manage a multi-Mac household or small business, you know what Im talking about here. The ability to quickly and easily view and interact with the desktop of any Mac on your local Wi-Fi network is an amazing time-saver that lets me update, manage applications for and coordinate the efforts of all four Macs in operation at my home from my central work computer. Girlfriend runs into a technical problem? Connect, fix, done.

3. iTunes Home Sharing. This feature was one that made a lot of sense! for lon g before it was implemented. Why shouldnt any Mac or iOS device on your local network play back your iTunes library, so long as they have the propercredentials? That you can both stream and transfer music between libraries on Macs has saved me a lot of headaches, and size restrictions on iPod touches (which usually remain in the house anyways) are no longer an issue.

4. Combo audio in/out ports with remote control. Some will no doubt call me crazy for putting this on a list of tech Im most thankful for, but considering how much I use it, I dont think its out of place here. Obviously on iPhones and iPod touches its great for answering calls and controlling playback, but it also works terrifically well when on your MacBook or iPad watching movies or fielding Skype calls. Its a thing that I never missed until I had it, and now cant live without, even on my desktop iMac.

5. The App Store. Another pretty obvious one, but my appreciation has some qualifications. For example, I think the vast majority of the App Store is pretty much a waste of time; even well-designed apps arent necessarily useful in the long term. But for the few apps that remain glued to my home screen, like Delivery Status Touch, Next TTC, Instapaper and Reeder, the App Stores thousands of low-quality, throwaway applications are more than endurable.

Those are my five, but I doubt theyre everyone elses too. Let us know what Apple tech youre most thankful for in the comments.

Related research and analysis from GigaOM Pro:
Subscriber content. Sign up for a free trial.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

China Watch: Magical New Maglev, Fire the Ambassador?

Live Blog: GMIC G-Startup Competition 2011

Chinese Pinterest Huaban.com Grabs Money and Attention